Skip to content

Trusted Family Lawyers in Brisbane

Dr Craig Jensen Lawyers, based in Brisbane, Queensland, have a thorough knowledge of the complex family law system and will deliver positive outcomes to protect your financial and legal interests.


Divorce and Family Lawyers in Brisbane

Dr Craig Jensen Lawyers is one of the leading Australian family lawyers in Brisbane, with a team of experienced family law specialists who understand the complexities of the Australian family law system. Our dedicated family lawyers provide legal services and guidance to people regarding their legal obligations, rights and options in the event of a breakdown of their marriage or partnership.

If you're considering separation or have already separated, seek immediate advice from our trusted separation lawyers in Brisbane, Queensland. Dr Craig Jensen Lawyers can support you in navigating the complexities of the family laws regarding divorce and separation. They can also assist with identifying your legal rights and how the law applies to your circumstances.

For comprehensive family law services, including expert divorce lawyers, contact us today.

How Our Family Lawyers Can Help

Dr Craig Jensen Lawyers, based in Brisbane, Queensland, play an important role in assisting parties to reach an agreement and make informed decisions. They also assist clients in identifying issues and options that they may not have considered.

Property Settlements and Disputes with Intellectual Property Lawyers

  • Division of assets and liabilities
  • Superannuation splits
  • Property arbitration
  • Representation at court for property disputes
  • Preservation of property
  • Transfer of property
  • Consent Orders for property settlement
  • Spousal maintenance
  • Binding Financial Agreements

Divorce Lawyers

  • Preparing and serving divorce papers, including Application for Divorce and Response to Divorce.
  • Legal issues concerning separation
  • Annulment of marriage
  • Legal representation in Court

FAQs on Divorce in Famiy Law

You can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your spouse:

  • Regard Australia as your home and intend to live in Australia indefinitely, or
  • Are an Australian citizen by birth, descent or by a grant of Australian citizenship, or
  • Ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.

You need to satisfy the Court that you and your spouse have been separated for at least 12 months prior to your application for divorce and that there is no reasonable likelihood of resuming married life. It is possible to live together in the same home and still be separated.

If you have been separated for more than 12 months, there a few opportunities to oppose a divorce application - you can only oppose the divorce when:

  • there has not been 12 months separation as alleged in the application, or
  • the Court does not have jurisdiction.

If you do not want the divorce granted, you must complete and file a Response to Divorce application and appear in person on the hearing date. You need to set out the grounds on which you seek the dismissal in the Response to Divorce.

If you disagree with details in the Application for Divorce, you may file a Response to Divorce. You will need to state the facts that you disagree with in the Response to Divorce. You do not need to attend the hearing.

If you want to file a Response to Divorce, you need to file it:

  • if served in Australia – within 28 days of the application being served on you, or
  • if served outside of Australia – within 42 days of the application being served on you.

No children under 18

If there is no child of the marriage aged less than 18 years, you are not required to attend the court hearing. This applies to both sole and joint applications.

Joint application with children under 18

If you have made a joint application, you and your spouse are not required to attend the court hearing (even if there is a child of the marriage aged under 18).

Sole application with children under 18

If you have made a sole application and there is a child of the marriage aged under 18 years, you (the applicant) are required to attend the court hearing unless circumstances prevent you from attending (see below).

If there is no Response to Divorce, the other party is not required to attend, although they may do if they wish.

Get in Contact

Whether you are thinking about separating or have started the process, you and your family’s financial and legal interests rely on you getting the right legal advice and support.

Contact Dr Craig Jensen directly to discuss your situation.

Scroll To Top